Title: Prince Charming (Royals #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Genre: YA, Romance
Edition/Pages: Hardcover, 296 pages
Daisy has no desire to live in the spotlight. But when her sister announces she is engaged to Alex, the Prince of Scotland, Daisy is forced into it anyways. After an embarrassing expose from her ex-boyfriend, saying that she is gunning for her own prince, Daisy is forced to spend the summer in Scotland. Now she’s rubbing elbows with Scotland’s royalty, trying to make a good impression. But Daisy can’t control her snark. So Miles, the best friend of Prince Sebastian, is tasked with showing her the ropes and keeping her out of trouble.
This is a YA, enemies to lovers, romance told from Daisy’s POV.
What I Liked
- Daisy was such a funny main character. I connected to her immediately (I love bookworm main characters). She has so much sass and never holds back – even around Scottish royalty. I loved that she was so unabashedly herself and fought every step of the way when the royal family tried to fit her in a box.
- Miles was a precious muffin and I loved him. He was so loyal to Prince Sebastian, even though the prince is walking wreck. Miles gave everything to the royal family. But he also stood up to them when push came to shove. I loved the romance and was 100% shipping him and Daisy by the end.
- This book was surprisingly funny! I couldn’t get over how witty and sarcastic Daisy was.
What I Didn’t Like
- This suffers from the classic miscommunication/last-minute-make-up trope. I just don’t like abrupt reconciliation endings. I find them unsatisfying.
- The royalty was quite unlikeable (not the 3 children, but everyone else). I started feeling so terrible for Daisy’s older sister – everyone treated them with such disrespect. It was hard to read about everyone making such rude and disrespectful comments.
Overall, this was a surprisingly fun read!! I had no idea what to expect going into this but I fell in love with this series. I cannot wait to continue on!