Title: An Unwanted Guest
Author: Shari Lapena
Edition/Pages: Hardcover, 290 pages
This takes place at a secluded inn, deep in the woods when a massive blizzard hits. Now all the guests are stuck inside with no electricity. Things take an even worse turn, when one of the guests is found dead. Panic rises as the guests try to make it through the storm alive.
If you’re looking for a classic whodunit with major Clue vibes, this is it! I love classic mysteries and this one was so good.
What I Liked
- The setting of this was really atmospheric and well done. This book is definitely 100% mystery, but the setting gave it slightly spooky vibes. The idea of being snowed in and stranded in the woods with no electricity just added a extra level of tension.
- I liked that you got to read from each of the characters perspective. It was nice to get insight into each of their backgrounds. And it was fun to try and figure out whodunit along with the characters.
- The final tiny twist. I was gonna give this 3 stars until the last 2 pages. I loved it.
What I Didn’t Like
- Some of the characters were so damn infuriating. I don’t mind hating characters but I didn’t understand some of their motivations.
- Some of the backstories, especially for Bradley, didn’t feel totally fleshed out. Bradley’s “dark past” felt like an after thought.
Overall this book was really enjoyable. I love classic whodunit’s and this totally fit the bill. I highly recommend it if you enjoy those types of books! Just know this book doesn’t have any crazy twists or thriller elements, if that’s what you look for in mysteries.