This tag was originally created by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes!
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill
I’m just going to start off with a bang. This is going to go be extremely unpopular but I’m choosing Dorian. I LOVED Dorian throughout most of the Throne of Glass series but he was hands down my least favorite part of Kingdom of Ash. I don’t want to be spoiler-y so I’m going to leave this vague. But I thought most of Dorian’s choices and actions were horrible and he doesn’t deserve Manon.
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away
Vicious by V.E. Schwab. This has been everywhere recently with the release of Vengeful and I thought is was kinda boring. I just don’t get the hype…
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
Literally every single character in Neverworld Wake. This is one of my least favorite books of the year (spoiler alert) and every character in here kept making obnoxious choices that made everything more difficult for everyone around them.
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for
I’ve actually never been spoiled for a book when I desperately didn’t want to be. I guess technically I was spoiled for the ACOTAR series but I didn’t read it until February of this year so it was to be expected.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with
Everyone in A Darker Shade of Magic. I DNF’d this with only about 100 pages left because I just didn’t care. I thought Lila Bard was a caracture of a strong female lead – so badass, so independent, so not like other girls. *gag*
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand
Alina and Mal from the Grisha Trilogy.
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : show some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of
I’m trying to be more ruthless with my unhauls because I get overwhelmed and stressed seeing so many unread books on my shelves. Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, An Unseen World by Liz Moore, and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt are 3 that come to mind though.
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
**** KINGDOM OF ASH SPOILERS ****
I will literally never recover from what the Thirteen did. I am forever broken.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long
I don’t actually have anything for this. I’m pretty picky about what series I pick up because I’m paranoid about getting iced like Game of Thrones fans. So I usually won’t pick up a series until the entire thing is released or announced. So I know how many books there are/will be before I even start.
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villians again!)
Everyone in A Great and Terrible Beauty. This is one of my least favorite books I’ve ever read and everyone in here was awful.
If you haven’t done this yet, consider yourself tagged!!