Hello! I’m here to sip a little tea and share some of my unpopular bookish opinions.
This tag was originally created by TheBookArcher – check out her original video here!
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like
Okay brace yourselves… the Six of Crows duology. I recently DNF’d Crooked Kingdom. I don’t know if it’s a permanent DNF, but I just can’t get into this series. I want to love it like everyone else, but I just hate so many of the main characters (Kaz). And it feels a little too ‘I’m so strong and so smart. No one can match me.’
2. A popular book or series everyone seems to hate but you
According to Goodreads my highest rated book with the lowest average rating is Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Which is a little surprising to me. I really enjoyed this book.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you didn’t want them to end up with or an OTP you don’t like.
This is spoiler-y for Kingdom of Ash. But I didn’t like Aedion and Lysandra together. Aedion was so beyond awful to her for most of this book and she deserved so much better. I could also say the same for Dorian and Manon. Don’t like them together either.
4. A popular book genre you hardly reach for
Historical Fiction. I have no beef with the genre, I’m just never drawn to it.
5. A popular or beloved character you do not like
Kaz from Six of Crows. Delilah Bard from A Darker Shade of Magic. Leah from the Simon-verse. Scarlet from The Lunar Chronicles.
6. A Popular Author you cant seem to get in to
Victoria/V.E. Schwab – although I DID enjoy City of Ghosts. Blake Crouch – his writing style is so choppy I just can’t past it. And I wish I could because I’ve heard such great things about his stories!
7. A Popular book trope you’re tired of seeing
Characters dying and somehow coming back to life. Stop this immediately. It’s annoying.
8. A common series you have no interest in reading
Oh so many. But I’m going with anything by Cassandra Claire. Paranormal just is not my thing and there are SO many books in this world.
9. The saying goes “the book is always better than the movie”, what movie or tv show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
The Magicians! I absolutely love the show on SyFy but the book was not my favorite. In fact I recently discovered that I never actually finished the first book. The fact that I didn’t even remember or care just shows how much I enjoyed the book.
If you want to participate in this tag, consider yourself tagged!! I’d love to read some of your unpopular opinions!